GFOA is working with practitioners, researchers, and other education finance experts to identify best practices in school and community college budgeting. These best practices aim to leverage the budget process to align resources to student outcomes.
As part of this initiative, several PK-12 school districts and community colleges nationwide were selected as pilots to help develop and to test these best practices. The pilots are using the best practies to develop their 2014-2015 budgets. GFOA is using these best practices to to update and enhance its Distinguished Budget Presentation Award Program to incorporate resource allocation best practices specific for PK-12 school districts and community colleges. The inaugural Distinguished Budget Presentation Award for Schools for 2016-2017 budget.
For additional information or questions on the project, please contact Shayne Kavanagh, Senior Research Manager.
Draft Best Practices
GFOA is working to refine and the best practices based on the experiences of the pilots in developing their 2014-2015 budgets as well as from public comment. GFOA encourages the public to review these draft best practices and ask questions and share feedback.
- Prepare & Develop Inputs to the Budget Process
- Adopt/Re-Affirm budgeting principles and policies to guide the budget process
- Examine internal and external forces that impact the budget
- Define Goals & Identify Gaps
- Develop goals for the college and its sub-units
- Determine the gaps between the goals and current state, and identify the root causes of the gaps
- Develop Strategies to Achieve the Goals
- Prioritize Spending to Enact the Strategies & Allocate Resources
- Prioritize spending to enact the strategies
- Allocate funds based on the results of the prioritization process
- Create a budget document that communicates how resources have been allocated to enact the strategies
- Check Performance
- Enhanced Budgeting Practices
Provide Feedback to GFOA
GFOA encourages feedback on the draft best practice documents. To provide feedback, please complete the feedback form.
- Sesssion on Budgeting for Student Success at the Community College Business Officers (CCBO) 2014 Annual International Conference from September 20-23, 2014 in San Antonio, TX. The session will be held on Tuesday, September 23, 2014 from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM CT.
- Session on Best Practices in Budgeting for Community Colleges at the Oregon Community College Business Officers Training scheduled for July 17, 2014.
- Association of Chief Business Officials Spring 2014 Conference