This is a senior-level, professional staff, full-time position with the City's Financial Services Department. An individual in this position reports to the Director of Financial Services and is responsible for the financial operations of the Department. The incumbent will also model leadership and provide supervision to department managers and other staff members as directed by the department director.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
• Perform financial reporting by planning, organizing and directing assigned divisions; manage and participate in the preparation of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) and the annual budget; oversees the preparation of various financial statements;
• Assist with policy development and compliance by making recommendations to the Director;
• Participate in the administration of fiscal and budgetary policies, banking proposals and other contracts; and oversee the preparation of manuals and the compilation of data for various budgets and annual reports;
• Manage financial systems and records; devise work plans; coordinate period closing and adjustments; assist in the procedures and reports discrepancies; oversee project accounting system and the CIP system;
• Implement the internal controls; conduct or oversee cash handling training and cash handling policy compliance. Assist with grant administration, trend setting and projections, rebate calculations, and cash flow needs;
• Assist with the audit process by collecting information from auditors; oversee the preparation of audit work papers and audit processes; and communicate with the audit committee and external auditors;
• Complete related duties by overseeing staffing needs, requirements and training plan; provide support to the Director and other departments as needed; and handle the responsibilities of the Director in his or her absence;
• Manage and monitor performance by directing supervisors or lead personnel, including making final recommendations on staff selection, performance improvement, disciplinary actions, program evaluation, work objectives, strategy effectiveness; and work assignments as needed;
• The incumbent has major fiscal responsibilities and is responsible for department-wide financial decisions. Assures that appropriate linkages exist between budget requests and departmental goals and objectives. Monitors budget plans and adjusts as necessary;
• Perform other related duties as assigned;
• Subject to 24 hour recall.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, OR CERTIFICATION:
Bachelor degree, from an accredited college or university in Finance, Accounting or a related field, and a minimum of five (5) years relevant professional management level experience are required. Certification as a CPA, CGFO, or CPFO strongly preferred; Experience in a municipal organization similar in size, service delivery and scope as the City of Missouri City desired.
The Department of Human Resources & Organizational Development may consider an equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience.