(Chicago, Illinois – April 3, 2018) Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) has announced the recipients of its 2018 scholarships. GFOA’s mission is to promote excellence in state and local government financial management and the awarding of scholarships is one of the ways GFOA accomplishes its mission.
The recipient of the $15,000 Goldberg-Miller Public Finance Scholarship is Shirley A. Walker, who will graduate in May 2018 with a Master of Accountancy degree with an emphasis on Forensic Accounting, from Christian Brothers University, Memphis, Tennessee. Shirley presently serves as the Chief Financial Officer with the Holly Springs Marshall County Airport, and Project Manager with the Marshall County Industrial Development Authority, in Mississippi. She plans to sit for the Certified Public Accounting, Certified Fraud Examiner, and Certified Information Systems Auditor examinations, with the goal of achieving a Forensic Accounting and Auditing position within government.
The Goldberg-Miller Public Finance Scholarship is available for award to a graduate student who is enrolled full-time in a graduate program preparing for a career in state and local government finance. The winner of the scholarship is invited to attend GFOA’s Annual Conference, where the award will be presented. This scholarship is funded by the Girard Miller Foundation.
The eligibility requirements for the award include:
- Currently a full-time student in a graduate program that prepares students for careers in state and local government finance and expecting to be enrolled in the spring semester of the year for which the scholarship is awarded (including graduates of that spring semester).
- Baccalaureate degree or its equivalent.
- Citizen or permanent resident of the United States or Canada.
- Recommendation from someone who can speak to the student’s commitment to the public sector.
- Student has not been a past winner of a scholarship administered by Government Finance Officers Association of the United States and Canada.
For more information about GFOA’s scholarships, please contact Peg Hartnett, Senior Manager.