Sacramento, CA (Hyatt Regency Sacramento)
Experience and knowledge in local government budgeting.
This session is designed for any local government finance personnel interested in achieving more public participation throughout the budget process.
The GFOA best practices are the gold-standard for how governments should run their budgeting process. This course will provide participants with an overview of the most important best practices, such as adopting financial policies, long-term financial planning, and budgeting for results and outcomes. The instructors will facilitate participants through a discussion about how they have been able to apply the best practices at their organizations, the challenges they have encountered, and the solutions they might employ. Attendees will leave the course with a customized list of actions they can take to further their organizations’ use of the best practices.
- Thoroughly understand the core components of the GFOA best practices which are most relevant for budgeting.
- Communicate effectively about the best practices to others.
- Make the case for using best practices with their jurisdictions’ governing body.
- Identify opportunities for improvement within their own organizations.
- Take concrete actions to realize those opportunities for improvement.