San Antonio, TX (Grand Hyatt San Antonio)
General familiarity with government budget documents
This session will benefit those in the public sector tasked with communicating financial information through reports, documents and presentations.
Using GFOA’s budget award guidelines as a primer, this course examines the different ways governments can communicate financial/budgetary information in more meaningful ways to their respective communities. Many communities treat the budget document as the single, most important means of communication to their constituents. This is wrong.
Communications consist of a dialogue where both parties are able to speak the same language -- not just a static, budget document.
- Understanding the fundamental concept of communicating well.
- Understanding what is external communication. The importance of doing it well and why it’s hard but vital to do.
- Understanding what is internal communication. The purpose and how it’s different than external, but just as important.
- At a very basic level, what should a budget document include that provides helpful information while still being readable.
- Develop a more critical eye as to what information is useful to the average reader and ways to present it.
GFOA Best Practices -