PURPOSE OF THE CLASSIFICATION:
Under direction responsible for all areas related to financial reporting, developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements, supervises staff accountants, managing team to ensure work properly allocated and completed in a timely and accurate manner, addresses tight deadlines and numerous accounting functions, including general ledger and year-end audit preparation, financial reporting and budget/forecast support activities, interacting with finance and other department management and various Authority Board members and performs other related assigned duties.
- Manages all areas related to financial reporting, ensuring the timely reporting of all monthly financial information
- Ensures the accurate and timely processing of positive pay transactions and monthly, quarterly and year-end closings
- Assists the Controller in daily banking requirements and ensures the monthly and quarterly bank compliance activities performed timely and accurately
- Supports budget and forecasting activities
- Collaborates with other finance managers to support overall departmental goals and objectives
- Monitors and analyzes departmental work to develop more efficient procedures and resource utilization, maintaining a high level of accuracy and assists in the development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the department’s workflow process
- Advises staff regarding the handling of non-routine reporting transactions
- Responds to inquiries from the Finance Director, Controller and other finance and City-wide managers regarding financial results and special reporting requests
- Works with the Controller to ensure a clean and timely year-end audit
- Supervises the general ledger group to ensure compliance with all financial reporting deadlines
- Handles personnel issues relating to staff conflicts, absentism and performance issues
- Works with direct reports to establish annual goals and objectives and monitors/advises regarding the progress to enhance professional staff development, providing training to new/existing staff as needed
- Supports the Controller and Assistant Controller with special projects
- Researches, recommends and monitors the proper application of Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GAAP), accounting rules used to prepare, present and report financial statements for a wide variety of entities, including local governments
- Performs a major role in the preparation of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report
- Must report to work on a regular and timely basis Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks.
Training and Experience:
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree in accounting and five (5) years of progressively responsible accounting experience.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills:
Comprehensive knowledge of the principles, practices and methods of accounting with particular reference to cost/variance analysis and governmental accounting; considerable knowledge of modern office management procedures, practices and equipment as applied to accounting operations; considerable knowledge of accounting control systems and investment/debt procedures and practices; considerable knowledge of budget preparation and monitoring procedures; and considerable knowledge of data processing applications and use potential. Ability to analyze and interpret/discuss fiscal and accounting records and to prepare and present accurate and complete financial statements and reports; ability to plan, lay out, manage and review the work of accounting employees; ability to analyze work processes and develop and implement efficient workflow procedures and provide training as necessary; ability to supervise and participate in both internal and external audits; ability to prepare and monitor a large investment/debt portfolio; ability to communicate competently, both verbally and in writing; and the ability to understand and influence the behavior of others within the organization, customers, or the public in order to achieve job objectives and cause action or understanding.
Physical requirements include arm and hand dexterity enough to use a keyboard, 10-key and telephone; occasional lifting and carrying up to 20 pounds; may be subject to walking, standing, sitting, reaching, balancing, bending, kneeling and handling; and vision, speech and hearing sufficient to perform the essential tasks.
Licenses and Certificates:
Possession of Certified Public Accountant (CPA) Certification.
Working environment is primarily indoors in an office setting.