Accounting and financial reporting professionals with at least two years of governmental experience, or who have attended GFOA’s Intermediate Governmental Accounting seminar or an equivalent program.
Anyone involved in preparing or auditing state or local government financial statements.
This seminar examines in detail selected topics in governmental accounting and financial reporting.
Updated to include GASB Statement No. 86, Certain Debt Extinguishment Issues; GASB Statement No. 88, Certain Disclosures Related to Debt Including Direct Borrowings and Direct Placements; GASB Statement No. 89, Accounting for Interest Cost Incurred before the End of a Construction Period; GASB Statement No. 90, Majority Equity Interests; and GASB Statement No. 91, Conduit Debt Obligations. Special emphasis is placed on GASB Statement No. 84, Fiduciary Activities, GASB Statement No. 87, Leases, and GASB Statement No. 91, Conduit Debt Obligations.
Those who successfully complete this seminar should gain a basic understanding of the appropriate accounting and financial reporting for:
- Lease accounting and financial reporting under GASB Statement No. 87;
- Fiduciary activities under GASB Statement No. 84;
- Majority equity interests under GASB Statement No. 90;
- Capital assets;
- Investments and derivatives;
- Postemployment and termination benefits;
- Risk financing;
- Compensated absences;
- Tax abatements;
- Conversion and consolidation;
- Landfills, pollution remediation, and asset retirement obligations;
- Irrevocable split interest agreements; and
- Arbitrage accounting.