Basic understanding and past experience working with a local government capital improvement planning and budgeting process.
All staff involved in preparing the capital improvement plan. The class will have useful information for individuals with both financial and non-financial backgrounds.
Capital assets are expensive: from planning, to construction, to operations and maintenance. Therefore, maintaining capital infrastructure in the condition necessary preserve and enhanced your community’s vitality and quality of life takes forethought and planning. This course will walk you through best practices in long-range capital planning, budgeting, and asset maintenance planning.
In addition, the class will focus on highlight key skills necessary to meet the many challenges governments face in infrastructure and asset management.
- Learn the essentials practices your community needs for:
- Long-range capital planning
- Capital project budgeting
- Regular asset maintenance and renewal
- Identify key responsibilities of the finance office for facilitating an effective capital improvement planning process
- Learn how to take a proactive approach to identifying capital needs
- Learn how to communicate with operations staff
- Analyze approaches to selecting, timing, rating, and prioritizing capital projects
- Estimate and analyze capital projects
- Design a capital financing strategy
- Prepare a capital budget document that is consistent with long-term capital improvement plans
- Evaluate and monitor capital project expenditures