Knowledge of state and local governmental accounting and financial reporting.
State and local governmental accounting and financial reporting professionals, state and local government CFOs, and auditors of state and local governments.
Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) will offer its 24th Annual Governmental GAAP Update on November 7, 2019, December 5, 2019, and again on January 16, 2020, using the latest video and audio streaming technology. The seminar offers an incomparable opportunity to learn everything you need to know about the most recent developments in accounting and financial reporting for state and local governments from the convenience of your own computer! Enjoy all the benefits of the highest quality continuing professional education without the time and expense of travel!
Participate in interactive exercises to test your knowledge of the material being presented. Receive immediate feedback to your questions during the program from GFOA’s Technical Services staff.
- Overview of GASB standards becoming effective in FYEs 2019, 2020, and beyond.
- GASB 91, Conduit Debt Obligations, including assessment of issuer commitments to support debt service payments and proper accounting and reporting for “lease-like” associated arrangements
- In-depth discussions of extensive new implementation guidance:
- Fiduciary activities, including identifying fiduciary component units, assessing a government’s control of and administrative involvement with resources, and accounting and reporting of the new custodial funds.
- Leases, including identification of contracts covered by the new leases standards, determination of a lease term, measurement of new intangible right-to-use lease assets and lease liabilities by lessee governments, accounting by lessor governments, and new note disclosure requirements.
- 2019 Update to GASB’s Comprehensive Implementation Guide.
- Discussion of GASB’s current agenda and several recently-issued documents for public comment that will affect the future of governmental accounting and financial reporting for years to come!
- Audit update including the new Yellow Book
* Topics subject to change
Participants in this year’s GAAP Update should achieve a practical knowledge of:
- GASB 91, Conduit Debt Obligations
- GASB Implementation Guide 2019-1, Implementation Guidance Update-2019
- GASB Implementation Guide 2019-2, Fiduciary Activities
- GASB Implementation Guide 2019-3, Leases
- Exposure draft of proposed standards
- Subscription-based Information Technology Arrangements
- Public-Private and Public-Public Partnerships and Availability Payment Arrangements
- Deferred Compensation Plans
- Updates on the new Yellow Book and other audit matters affecting governments
- Updates on other major GASB projects