We recognize that COVID-19 is disrupting normal government operations and may affect members’ ability to submit timely applications for GFOA’s award programs. We will approve extensions of the submission deadlines for those that need more time. Please submit the extension request form so we can record your extension in our system.
The GFOA established the Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting Program (CAFR Program) in 1945 to encourage and assist state and local governments to go beyond the minimum requirements of generally accepted accounting principles to prepare comprehensive annual financial reports that evidence the spirit of transparency and full disclosure and then to recognize individual governments that succeed in achieving that goal. The goal of the program is not to assess the financial health of participating governments, but rather to ensure that users of their financial statements have the information they need to do so themselves.
Reports submitted to the CAFR program are reviewed by selected members of the GFOA professional staff and the GFOA Special Review Committee (SRC), which comprises individuals with expertise in public sector financial reporting and includes financial statement preparers, independent auditors, academics, and other finance professionals.
Governments that participate in the Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting Program are asked to submit their report within six months of the end of the fiscal year. The GFOA's review process typically requires an additional 4 to 6 months. Therefore, the 2018 program results are for comprehensive annual financial reports for fiscal years that ended during calendar year 2017.
- 2018 Program Results | For Fiscal Years Ended in 2017
- 2017 Program Results | For Fiscal Years Ended in 2016
- 2016 Program Results | For Fiscal Years Ended in 2015
- 2015 Program Results | For Fiscal Years Ended in 2014
- Special Review Executive Committee members
- Reviewers of 2017 Fiscal Year End CAFRs
Information for participants and potential participants:
- Coming June 1, 2020! GFOA Awards Management System (NEW)
- Details on how to become a Participant or Reviewer
- Eligibility Requirements
- How to Submit a Report
- Application form
- Fee schedule - with updated schedule for School Districts effective June 1, 2020
- Requests for an extension of the submission deadline
- Judging Process
- Checklists - The general-purpose government checklist has been update through GASB Statement No. 86.
- General-purpose governments - New April, 2018
- The previous version of the general-purpose government checklist is referenced in comments on FY 2016 CAFR Reviews
- School districts - Update pending, please refer to general-purpose government checklist
- Stand-alone business-type activities - Update pending, please refer to general-purpose government checklist
- Postemployment benefit systems and investment pools - New June, 2018
- The previous version of the Postemployment benefit systems and investment pools checklist is referenced in comments on FY 2016 CAFR Reviews
Information for reviewers and potential reviewers:
- Electronic Vote Page for Special Review Committee Members (SRC)
- Eligibility requirements
- How to apply to be a reviewer
- SRC Review Guides - SRC members should refer to the checklist above for more updated information. The below review guides are from 2015:
- SRC review guide for general-purpose governments (including special districts that use governmental funds)
- SRC review guide for school districts
- SRC review guide for stand-alone business-type activities (including individual enterprise funds and special districts that use enterprise funds exclusively)
- SRC review guide for pension and other postemployment benefit (OPEB) systems
- SRC review guide for cash and investment pools
- Reviewer Information