Under limited supervision, supervises, assigns, reviews and participates in the work of accounting personnel, ensuring the department creates accurate and timely financial records for the City.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assists in the development, implementation and management of the City's fixed asset system; ensures correct recording of fixed asset purchases, transfers and disposals.
- Provides guidance and works alongside personnel to ensure accurate accounting of the City's fixed assets and inventories.
- Leads accounting related projects including, but not limited to, software and system implementations.
- Acts as department and city-wide liaison for grants.
- Participates in the formulation of accounting policies and procedures, assists in monitoring their implementation; evaluates effectiveness, and recommends changes to systems and controls.
- Maintains and monitors the structure and integrity of the City's accounting system, including creating funds and accounts in accordance.
- Performs the month end and fiscal year end closing processes in the financial accounting system and prepares the system for new fiscal year.
- Reviews and analyzes accounts; monthly, quarterly, or annually to determine whether transactions are properly recorded.
- Performs routine and non-routine monthly and annual reconciliations, including completion of journal entries as needed.
- Assists in preparation and processing of annual fiscal year-end activities such as (but not limited to) data entry, posting, and reconciliation.
- Provides financial information for committees, directors, managers and other staff as requested; develops reports based on feedback and requests.
- Serves as backup for other members of the division.
- Oversees actions related to the City's financial transparency portal, Open Gov.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience: Requires a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Business, or related field, supplemented by three to five of experience in Accounting, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Experience in governmental accounting is preferred.