Class is Full
Long Beach, CA (Hyatt Regency Long Beach)
None. A laptop/tablet is recommended for the course.
This course is designed for budget analysts from both small and large local governments, with three years of experience or less.
GFOA’s Budget Academy is a four-day course that focuses on skills and techniques critical to a public sector budget analyst. Using a combination of lectures, discussions, and exercises, the course will provide an overview of the budget development process, including best practices and techniques required in effective budgeting. Participants will also have an opportunity to network with colleagues to share best practices and to discuss budgeting challenges.
Peer learning and networking with colleagues from other organizations is an integral part of the Budget Academy. Additionally, those who successfully complete this seminar should obtain a basic understanding of each of the following:
- Public-sector budget process
- Basic accounting principles and how they relate to the budget
- Working relationship with operating departments to develop goals and budget requests
- Basic revenue and expenditure analysis
- Position budgeting and salary projections for public-sector organizations
- Link between capital and operating budgets
- Communicating and presenting budget information