The person assists the Deputy CFO/Comptroller in supervising, organizing, and monitoring the accounting and reporting functions of Housing Choice Voucher program and Public Housing projects, implementing accounting procedures and internal controls, and in complying with current policies, program objectives, and regulations.
SUMMARY OF PRIMARY ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Supervise financial accounting and record-keeping activities of Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) and Private Property Accounting (PA).
- Supervise tracking and reporting of Housing Choice Voucher and Mod rehab program components including HCV budget authority, voucher utilization, admin revenues, and admin expenses.
- Supervise monthly reporting, and quarterly updates made in Voucher Management system are performed accurately and timely.
- Monitor processes of HCV landlord payments, property operating subsidy payments, repayments, tenant account write-offs, FSS programs, property accounting and account reconciliations, and make necessary adjustments.
- Advise management regarding variances to property management company budgets to ensure compliance to established policies and procedures, and process budget revisions as appropriate.
- Implement policies and procedures, review monthly reports to ensure compliance of all regulatory requirements, and ensure information is processed appropriately and accurately.
- Interacts with city, state, and federal agencies, e.g., HUD, City of Chicago and State of Illinois to ensure the Authority's compliance with authoritative requirements.
- Responsible for monitoring and training property management companies on record keeping, finance, and accounting policies and procedures to ensure they are knowledgeable of financial reporting requirements and in compliance with contracts.
- Review and approve documents before distribution to ensure accurate information is being distributed.
- Generate internal financial statements including analysis and discussion, on variances from budget and compared to prior year actual.
- Assist with the coordination of Authority's annual property audits, ensure auditors are provided with necessary information, and in the preparation of the Comptroller's Office budget.
- Performs general research, reviews, and analyses to provide effective technical and managerial support to the Authority's management staff.
- Keeps abreast of current trends and practices to safeguard the Authority's assets and ensure transactions are properly recorded and reflected in the Authority's financial statements in accordance with authoritative rules (FASB and GASB).
- Directs, manages, motivates, and evaluates performance of subordinate personnel to ensure they are knowledgeable and skilled to perform their jobs competently.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- This position requires thorough knowledge of accounting principles (GASB), financial reporting practices, internal accounting controls, revenue recognition practices, and Low-Income Housing tax compliance matters, as well as knowledge of procurement and contracts, and HUD rules and regulations;
- Should be proficient in ERP and other automated accounting systems;
- Should be capable of managing projects and should possess good analytical, problem-solving and communication skills.
- Skills in all Microsoft Office applications are a must.
This position requires a B.S. in Accounting or Finance and a minimum of ten years of responsible management experience in a Finance environment in accounting, budgeting, cost accounting, credit, and collections or the equivalent combination of education and related work experience. A Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and MBA is preferred.