The City of Brookhaven, located in metro Atlanta, is seeking highly qualified applicants for a Director of Finance.
Job Summary: The purpose of this job is to advise the City regarding financial, budgetary and debt issuance. Duties include, but are not limited to: supervising staff; directing activities; keeping the City Manager informed about revenue anticipation and expenditure control; making professional and fiscally responsible recommendations regarding budget policy, adoption and adjustment; reviewing revenue requirements; presenting and explaining City finances, budgets, forecasts, and debt issues to Council Members, rating agencies, financial institutions, the public, the media; and processing associated paperwork.
Essential Job Functions:
- Plans, organizes, and directs financial, accounting, budgeting, purchasing, occupational tax, capital assets, internal and external audit as well as cost of service measurement functions.
- Performs all duties outlined in the City of Brookhaven Charter including collection of all taxes, licenses, fees and other monies belonging to the City.
- Develops business systems for daily operations; amends and updates systems as appropriate, monitors and evaluates performance of operating systems.
- Provides overall management and administration of the department, including planning and supervising operations; establishes goals and objectives.
- Administers the daily operations of the Finance function, including accounts payable, receipts and disbursements, general journals, inventories, capital assets, preparation of financial statements, cost reports and analysis activities.
- Directs and assists in preparation of comprehensive financial reports, monthly financial statements and administers comprehensive reporting systems that include: (1) comprehensive and periodic reports; (2) projects and special reports; (3) submits financial reports monthly to the City Manager.
- Develops departmental budget and goals, monitors expenditures and performance compared to the goals.
- Directs purchasing, property tracking and capital assets operations for the City.
- Oversees and transacts investment of City funds; determines amounts to be invested, obtains and evaluates bids from financial institutions and awards bids (as appropriate).
- Assists the City Manager on the preparation of the annual budget.
- Coordinates and administers City's annual operating budget and annual capital budget preparation; assists department heads in budget preparation; provides historical data, estimates revenues for budget year, compiles and produces budget.
- Consults with and assists external auditors to develop procedures and authoritative pronouncements, provides data and documents, and resolves questions and makes recommendations.
- Provides information, financial analysis and advice to City Manager and department heads – including various costs of services analysis, studies recommendations on selection of audit firms and other matters relating to finance, accounting and purchasing.
- Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting or related field from an accredited college or university;
- Must have a minimum of ten (10) years professional experience in accounting and financial management;
- Or equivalent education, and/or experience; and • Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred.
The City of Brookhaven is an equal opportunity employer.