OCCUPATIONAL SUMMARY: Organizes, directs, coordinates and controls the accounting functions of The School Board of Miami-Dade County. Implements and maintains the centralized accounting system, which includes all tax funds, federal and vocational funds, and the internal funds of the schools. Prepares financial statements and reports. Directs the Office of the Controller, including Payroll and Accounts Payable Departments in the absence of the Controller.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES:
- Directs the activities of various units within the Accounting Department, each of which has different rules, procedures, functions and funding sources.
- Maintains the General Ledger.
- Prepares and/or reviews monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements.
- Directs the downloading of the general ledger from SAP for the preparation of Monthly Financial Reports, Annual Financial Reports, and Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports.
- Acts as liaison with the offices of Budget Management, Treasury Management, Information Technology Services (ITS), other District offices, Internal and External Auditors.
- Directs the preparation and review of the Annual Financial Report, the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, and the Annual Single Audit Report.
- Provides accounting support system-wide to all school and central administration locations.
- Directs the revisions of Procedures Manuals in the Division of General Accounting and updates accounting procedures for all operational changes in conformity with local, State, and federal guidelines.
- Directs the capitalization of capital assets for the Annual Financial Report in compliance with the Department of Education (DOE), the Red Book, and requirements of External Auditors.
- Coordinates the implementation of new Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) accounting pronouncements as they arise and refinements to existing processes.
- Directs and supervises the Office of the Controller including the Payroll and Accounts Payable Departments in the absence of the Controller.
- Performs other duties comparable to the above, as assigned by the immediate supervisor.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS This is sedentary work which requires the following physical activities: twisting, reaching, sitting, standing, walking, lifting, finger dexterity, grasping, repetitive motions, talking, hearing and visual acuity. The work is performed primarily indoors.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Master's degree in accounting, finance, or business administration OR Certified Public Accountant.
- Knowledge of and experience with personal computers and large scale mainframe computers and networking the two systems.
- Minimum of five (5) years of professional accounting experience. Experience in governmental accounting preferred.
- Minimum of three (3) years of supervisory experience.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
Please use the following link to apply and submit required documents for this position: http://jobs.dadeschools.net/Apply.asp
APPLICATION DEADLINE IS Tuesday, October 22, 2019 at 4:00 p.m.
Please attach a RESUME, COVER LETTER and TWO PROFESSIONAL LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION (dated within one year) to your online profile.
If there are any questions, please contact Ms. Lourdes Rodriguez at 305.995.1136 or Mr. Jorge Rubio at 305.995.7196.