The Deputy Director of Finance supervises the overall financial activities of the City including revenue, internal audit, budget, accounting, payroll, and other financial functions. Work involves planning, organizing, directing, and coordinating a comprehensive program of activities designed to maximize the effectiveness and efficiency of the City's financial programs and operations. Assumes the responsibility of the Director of Finance in his/her absence.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Accounting, Finance, Public or Business Administration or in a closely related field; Master's degree in Accounting, Finance, or Public or Business Administration preferred. Five years of increasingly responsible senior-level experience in a combination of the following areas: Local government accounting, budgeting, financial administration, treasury management, utility billing, and administration, including at least three years of supervisory experience in an administrative or managerial capacity. Certified Public Accountant or Certified Public Finance Officer preferred. An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience, which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities, may be considered.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manages and oversees all operations of the Financial Services division and ensures that responsibilities are performed in compliance with federal and state regulations, City policies and procedures, and the City of Commerce City Code.
- Oversees and assists in the preparation of the annual budget by preparing revenue estimates, expenditure projections, and fund balance projections for the current year; preparing revenue estimates for the next year; aggregating and summarizing departmental budget requests; providing other necessary financial data.
- Coordinates preparation of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report
- Prepares and/or approves documentation on all department procedures and processes
- Supervises and participates in all general accounting and payroll of the City