The Comptroller reports to the Director of Finance. The Comptroller is responsible for supervising and directing activities of the Accounting Division. This individual oversees maintenance of general and subsidiary ledgers, posting records of financial transactions, preparing and interpreting interim financial statements. She/he coordinates the posting of yearend closing entries and prepare preliminary financial statements and assembles supporting documents for review by outside auditors. The comptroller supervises posting of audit adjustments and preparation of the City's annual financial report.
- Maintains cash accounts and controls their disposition.
- Coordinates and controls bank accounts and manages banking relationships.
- Directs the recording of accounts payable, reviewing invoices and supporting documents, and making payments to vendors.
- Supervises the production of employee paychecks, the deduction and transmission of taxes and other payments, and the generation of required reports.
- Assists in the issuance of long-term debt.
- Provides data needed for bond sales to bond counsel and underwriters.
- Oversees scheduling and making payments for bond interest and principal.
- Supervises tagging and preparing fixed asset ledgers for property, plant, and equipment, recording changes in asset status, and conducting periodic inventories of assets.
- Directs the recording of accounts receivable, ensures controls are in the system to provide assurances that the revenues are appropriate and collectible, and ensures that the general ledger and the various subsystems are reconciled.
A bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or a related field.
Plus a combination of five years of progressively responsible experience in governmental accounting, internal controls, cash management, or public finance. Two years of this experience should have involved supervisory experience in a medium-sized organization.
Thorough knowledge of the principles of governmental accounting and financial reporting. Knowledge of internal controls and accounting procedures. Knowledge of debt management principles, and procedures involved in issuing municipal bonds. Knowledge of banking procedures. Experience in the management and operation of computerized accounting systems. Experience in the preparation of annual financial reports. Must practice Ethical Conduct.
Ability to develop, implement, and administer financial accounting and reporting systems. Ability to design, establish, and maintain internal control procedures. Ability to supervise the work of professional and clerical personnel engaged in a wide variety of accounting and financial activities. Ability to maintain harmonious working relationships with other City officials and employees, banking officials, investment underwriters, bond counsels, contractors, vendors, and the general public. Ability to prepare and deliver clear, accurate, and concise oral and written reports.
Professional certification is preferred.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. Works under pressure due to multiple calls, inquiries, and conflict. Position is subject to many interruptions and unpredictable situations. May be subject to long irregular work hours.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear and sit for a prolonged periods of time. The employee is required to frequently talk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although out-of-the-area and overnight travel will be expected.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Email resumes to: Charles.Madden@shreveportla.gov
Mail resumes to:City of Shreveport Charles Madden Finance Director 505 Travis Street Ste 670 Shreveport, LA 71101