Beautiful, rural, liberal-arts University seeks a Controller desiring to live in a community nestled in the mountains on the western slope of Colorado. Western Colorado University seeks innovative candidates with public financial management executive level experience for our Controller position. This opportunity offers tremendous experience and an exceptional environment.
The Controller reports to the CFO and is expected to lead an administrative department providing strategic leadership, fiduciary guidance and customer service excellence. Position leads three full-time employees and is required to direct auditing activities, as well as payroll and accounts payable for an institution with 300 employees and a $50 M budget. The Controller will work closely with senior management team in ongoing development of the University’s short and long-range financial and strategic plans.
- Oversees internal and external audits and preparation of audit reports. Oversees major system development projects that impact financial reporting. Establishes University financial policies and transactional standards, ensuring consistency with the University's mission and strategic plans and compliance with Board of Trustees' policies, State and Federal fiscal management laws and regulations, and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Safeguard assets and assure accurate and timely recording of all transactions by implementing disciplines of internal audits, controls and checks across all departments. Manage the accuracy and productivity of day-to-day activities of accounts payable, cash disbursements, invoicing/billing, customer credits and collections, payroll, perpetual inventory integrity, fixed asset records, general & entity accounting, cost accounting for campus.
- Responsible for supervising staff and directing the management of all activities around the general ledger, production of financial statements, reconciliation and reporting to the State of Colorado and coordination of audits and audit follow through.
- Supports payroll activities
- Directs the activities associated with the security and investment of the University's assets and funds by working with the State's Treasury Department.