CITY OF SEASIDE – DIRECTOR OF FINANCE
LINK TO BROCHURE: https://koffassociates.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/KA_SEA-DF_R1.pdf
The City of Seaside is an ocean-side community that overlooks the beautiful Monterey Bay on the Central Coast of California, approximately 115 miles south of San Francisco.
Founded in 1887 and incorporated in 1954, this ten square-mile City continues to grow while holding on to the precious values from its establishment. Young families and retirees are drawn to the community, providing a healthy residential mix of people and a solid sense of community.
Seaside continues to grow, bustling with projects ranging from golf courses, 5-star resorts, conference facilities, new residential and commercial development, and plans for mixed-use, transit-oriented, an urban village that would transform the downtown. Under the leadership of City Manager Craig Malin, Seaside is growing, thriving, and remains a vibrant, diverse community appreciative of its past with an optimistic future.
Like many cities in California, Seaside is preparing for fast growth and corresponding development. In the next few years, the City anticipates 1,500 housing units as part of its Campus Town project. There will be 200,000 square feet devoted to shopping, entertainment, offices, and light industrial issues as well. With a budget of $500 million, Campus Town is one of the most significant projects in the history of the region. To learn more about the City, please visit their website at http://www.ci.seaside.ca.us/375/About-Seaside.
The City of Seaside is a General Law City with a Council/Manager form of government. The five-member City Council is a legislative and policy-making body that is elected on a nonpartisan basis to represent the residents of Seaside.
The City Manager is appointed by the City Council to manage the daily operations of the City and is responsible for making policy recommendations to the City Council and implementing City Council policy directives. The City's total workforce is 139 FTEs. The City has a general fund budget of almost $32 million.
The City has nine departments that provide direct city services: Fire; Police; Finance; Human Resources/Risk Management; Community Development; Public Works/Engineering; Recreation; Economic Development; and Building/Code Enforcement.
The Finance Department has 8 FTEs, including Information Services and Finance functions.
The Finance Department has several areas of responsibility, including General Accounting, Cash Management, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Payroll, Budget, Grants, and Debt Services. It provides accurate accounting of all revenues and expenditures, including preparation of financial statements, annual budgets, other financial reports, and supports the development of the annual audited financial statements.
Finance Department Mission Statement
The Mission of the Finance Department is to manage and safeguard City resources, provide information, and assist all customers in a knowledgeable, competent, and courteous manner.
The Finance Director is a hands-on department head appointed by and reporting to the City Manager. Under the City Manager's administrative supervision plans, organizes, manages, and provides direction and oversight for all functions and activities of the Finance Department. Responsibilities include preparing reports, making public presentations, and serving on various internal and external committees, boards, and task forces. This vital position analyzes the City's financial status and makes recommendations to the City Manager and City Council. The Director coordinates the development of the City's operating and capital improvement budgets and oversees the administration of both budgets.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
- Seaside's Director of Finance must possess a proficient understanding of public agency finance. They will convey a high degree of credibility and maintain a reputation as knowledgeable and reliable.
- Ideal candidates will be flexible and adept at balancing a multitude of priorities. They must be attentive to day-to-day activities and details while also demonstrating the desire and ability to see the big picture — a versatile manager who is committed to continuous improvement.
- Ideal candidates will be high energy professionals who accurately anticipate challenges and opportunities.
- Ideal candidates will be exceptional managers with proven histories of attracting and retaining top talent. They will have demonstrated success in creating and maintaining healthy and cohesive teams, both within their Department and cross-functionally. The individual selected will be sensitive to the importance of workplace culture and the need to keep even routine work rewarding and enjoyable.
- A track record that reveals a commitment to mentoring and developing staff is highly desirable. Previous experience with implementing career advancement and succession planning program strategies will be considered.
- The Director will have extensive opportunities to interact regularly with the City Manager, Human Resources, and numerous other departments. To that end, they must take pride and ownership in the success of the division, Department, and City as a whole.
- Also, the Director must show a personal interest in continuous learning and foster that same interest and curiosity among his/her staff. They shall be familiar with relevant technology and applications that add value to operations and aspects of the customer experience. Along those lines, comfort and confidence in one's ability to manage change effectively are essential.
- Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in accounting, finance, public administration, or a related field and seven (7) years of increasingly responsible experience, including supervisory experience, preferably in municipal administration or in a finance office and at least four (4) years of government finance experience. A Master's degree, California experience, and certification as a Certified Public Accountant are desirable.
Licenses and Certifications
- California Drivers' License.
Compensation and Benefits
- The City of Seaside offers an attractive and competitive compensation package, including:
- Historically the salary has been $166,516.48 annually but will be commensurate with experience.
- A relocation reimbursement program that provides up to $15,000 in housing / moving expense reimbursements for mission-critical management positions that choose to live in the City of Seaside. For details, please review the policy.
- Comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life, and long-term disability insurance. To find out more about the full suite of benefits, please visit: http://www.ci.seaside.ca.us/214/Employee-Benefits
- Defined Contribution Match – up to $2000 annually.
- Health Insurance – City covers 100% of the employee-only premium and 90% of the dependent premium (70/30 plan)
- Dental Insurance – City Makes generous contributions toward the premiums for employees and dependents.
- Long Term Disability – City pays a premium for the employee.
- Life Insurance – City pays a premium for standard policy (2x salary)
- Wellness Program – City pays up to $45 per month toward an employee's membership at the health club. Directors and their families will have the use of City recreation.
- Also, the City places a strong emphasis on training and will support the Finance Director's attendance at Harvard Kennedy School Senior Executives in State and Local Government class.
APPLICATION PROCESS & RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE
To apply for this position, please visit https://koffassociates.applytojob.com/apply/3Is0cnllJz/Director-Of-Finance?source=Government+Finance+Officers+Association
Please submit, in PDF format, a cover letter, and resume combined.
As an alternative, you can mail your cover letter, employment application form, and resume to this address:
Koff & Associates
2835 Seventh Street
Berkeley, CA 94710
Email questions to email@example.com
The deadline to apply for this position is Friday, April 10th.
The City of Seaside is an equal opportunity employer encouraging workforce diversity.