To manage, direct, supervise and coordinate the activities of the Accounting Division, Warehouse Division and Print Shop/Mail Room Division; to coordinate these Divisional activities with other City divisions and departments and outside agencies; and to provide highly responsible and complex administrative support to the Director of Finance.
- General supervision is provided by the Director of Finance. Responsible for supervision of the Accounting, Warehouse, and Print Shop/Mail Room staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- All behaviors comply with the Code of Conduct & Rules of Behavior outlined in chapter 8 of the General Government Policies and Procedures Manual.
- Adheres to assigned work schedule as outlined in city and department attendance policies and procedures.
- Assume management responsibility for all services and activities of the Accounting Division, Warehouse Division and Print Shop/Mail Room Division.
- Manage and participate in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for all Divisions of supervisory responsibility; recommend, within departmental policy, appropriate service and staffing levels; recommend and administer policies and procedures.
- Continuously monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; assess and monitor workload, administrative and support systems, and internal reporting relationships; identify opportunities for improvement and review with the Director of Finance; implement improvements.
- Select, train, motivate and evaluate personnel; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies; implement discipline procedures; recommend employee terminations; provide timely, accurate and thorough Performance Reviews for supervised employees.
- Plan and direct the work of assigned division staff; meet with staff to identify and resolve problems; assign work activities, projects and programs; monitor workflow; review and evaluate work products, methods and procedures.
- Review and verify a variety of documents and forms for the Accounting Division including invoices, authorizations and vendor data; review and approve selected accounting entries and transactions; prepare correcting or adjusting entries as necessary.
- Coordinate annual independent audit including selections, confirmations, schedules and audit adjustments; assist audit staff as necessary; assist in preparing City's formal response to audit recommendations; develop and monitor internal control procedures for the Accounting Division resulting from independent auditor's recommendations and self-assessment.
- Supervise and participate in the preparation of difficult and complex financial and administrative reports; prepare and analyze financial reports and records to determine trends or irregularities; manage preparing and publishing of Comprehensive Annual Financial Report including financial statements, footnotes, letters of transmittal, management discussion and analysis and statistical data.
- Provide backup for the review and authorization of expenditure requests and check disbursement.
- Supervise the development, implementation and administration of accounting and auditing systems including automated applications such as the general accounting system and payroll; review and approve all program interfaces with the accounting system such as Municipal Court system, Parks and Recreation system, Golf Course system, and Tax Office system.
- Participate in administering debt management and the debt record keeping program of the City in conjunction with the Director of Finance.
- Manage and participate in the development and administration of all Divisions' of supervisory responsibility annual budget; direct the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies; direct the monitoring of and approve expenditures; direct and implement adjustments as necessary; assist in administering the approved City budget.
- Attend and participate in professional groups, committees and seminars; stay abreast of new trends and developments in the field of fund accounting and public finance.
- Coordinate Accounting Division records retention program including accounting journals and ledgers, payment documents, cash receipts and payroll records.
- Answer questions and provide information to the public and other departments including financial reporting, accounts payable and payroll data, and budget status as requested.
- Participate in administering the City investment program including authorization of purchase and/or sale, brokerage selection, maturities and instruments, development of investment policy and procedures, and investment earnings forecast in conjunction with the Director of Finance.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in accounting, finance or other related field.
- Five to seven years of increasingly responsible experience in financial and accounting administration including experience in fund accounting
- Four years of administrative and supervisory responsibility.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATES
- CPA certification required.
- Possession of a valid driver's license.
- Monday - Friday; 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.; extra hours as needed to complete projects and tasks
APPLY ONLINE AT: www.cityofmesquite.com