Under general direction the incumbent manages, organizes, and supervises the activities of the Agency’s purchasing and contract administration functions, and purchasing card programs and perform other related work as required.
This is a single class position responsible for managing and administering the activities of Zone 7 Water Agency’s contract and procurement functions including the supervision of staff involved with procuring materials, supplies, equipment, and services through the preparation of specifications for the solicitation of bids. This position reports to the Assistant General Manager – Finance in the Administrative Services Division.
The ideal candidate has experience with a proven track record of success that demonstrates knowledge, skills and abilities in the following areas:
- Adept at preparing accurate and complete bids, proposals and complete bids, proposal and specifications.
- Extensive experience in developing and administering division goals, objectives, and procedures.
- Proven ability to facilitate discussions between customers/partners and potential vendors to agree on contract terms and evaluates bids or proposals to make contract award decisions.
- Understands and applies Agency, County, and other governmental rules and regulations affecting purchasing functions with regards to the negotiating and purchasing of goods and services.
- Maintains focus, intensity, remains optimistic and persistent, even under adversity.
- Ability to lead, direct, and motivate staff with focus on guiding others in accomplishing work objectives.
- Uses resources to identify key issue, problems, solve them, act decisively, and shows good judgment in decision-making;
- Takes ownership of work done and results accomplished.
- Effectively presents and receives information and concepts, in both written and oral formats.
The equivalent of four (4) years full-time as a Buyer II, Zone 7 or a higher level classification in the Alameda County classified service.
The equivalent of six (6) years of recent full-time experience as a journey level procurement professional, which included at least two (2) years of supervisory experience. A bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Public Administration or a related field from an accredited college or university may be substituted for two (2) years of the required work experience.
Possession of a CPM (Certified Purchasing Manager), CPPO (Certified Public Purchasing Officer) or CPSM (Certified Professional in Supply Management) is desirable.