Reports to: Mayor
GENERAL PURPOSE OF POSITION
The general purpose of the position is to perform responsible management and municipal financial accounting work directing and coordinating the varied functions of the City’s Finance Department. To track the City’s finances and assure that adequate funds exist for the purchase of items that provide services to the citizens of Maumelle, and to account for the City’s finances properly and accurately. Work involves administering the central accounting.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Preparation of financial statement (monthly, semi-annually and annually) and other financial reports.
- Assure compliance with government accounting rules applicable to municipalities, and more specifically, to the City of Maumelle.
- Assure compliance with
- Track fixed assets.
- Facilitate the preparation of the City’s entire annual budget.
- Assist with compliance of City purchasing guidelines and oversee compliance training.
- Prepare federal payroll tax and state unemployment tax forms.
- Counsel other department heads on fiscal procedures
- Process accounts payable checks.
- Prepare Comprehensive Annual Financial Report and assure audit readiness.
- Supervise finance department staff.
- Analyze situations and understand the impact decisions have on the City’s finances.
- Clearly and effectively communicate and explain complex financial information and transactions.
- Ability to quickly and effectively learn new software systems.
- Complete other duties and tasks as needed or assigned.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR FUNDS, PROPERTY & EQUIPMENT
- $23 million budget
- This position directly supervises one (1) Accountant position and three (3) non-supervisory employees (Receptionist, one (1) Bookkeeper I position, and one Bookkeeper II). Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the City’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance, rewarding and disciplining employees, addressing complaints and resolving problems.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting from four-year college or university; and four (4) years related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience, and three (3) years of managerial experience. Governmental and municipal accounting preferred.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents. Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints. Ability to write speeches and articles using original or innovative techniques or style. Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
- Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutations. Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- All other department heads and Mayor – daily
- City Clerk – daily
- Direct reports to this position – daily
- Auditors – daily for a period of 1-3 months each year
- Bank representatives – monthly
USE OF EQUIPMENT AND/OR COMPUTERS
- PC – extensive work with Microsoft Excel and Springbrook Software
- Adding machine w/ print capabilities
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Certified Public Finance Officer is strongly preferred.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and expectations.
- While performing the functions of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and to talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Must have the ability to fill in for most positions in Finance/Accounting. Must be able to work with groups with different backgrounds and cultures.
- Beginning salary is Based on Experience
- Applications will be accepted until the job is filled.
NOTE: A City of Maumelle Employment Application must be completed. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of application.
Please go to the City of Maumelle web page (maumelle.org) and click on Human Resources Department to print an application. Completed applications may be hand delivered or mailed to: City of Maumelle – Human Resources Department – 550 Edgewood Drive, Suite 590 – Maumelle, Arkansas 72113 OR faxed to (501) 803-4016. For questions, please contact Human Resources at (501) 851-2784, ext. 242 between the hours of 8AM and 5PM Monday through Friday.
“EOE – Minority, Women, and disabled individuals are encouraged to apply.”