Local government finance and budget executives who would like to improve their budget process and gain a deeper understanding of the Financial Foundations Framework will benefit from this course.
Financial Foundations for Thriving Communities is GFOA’s new framework for managing local government resources. The Framework contends that because a local government’s finances are a resource shared by the entire community, everyone in the community should contribute to their upkeep. The finance office, acting alone, will not be able to maintain a solid financial position to support a thriving community over the long-term. The Financial Foundations Framework combines many of GFOA’s Best Practices with essential leadership strategies that can help the finance officer maintain the local government’s solid financial foundation.
In this course, you will learn how to design a budget process that incorporates elements of the Framework and how these changes can put your organization on the path toward building a stronger financial foundation. The course will cover all aspects of the budget process, including establishing a vision and priorities, engaging with the public, developing the annual budget, maintaining relationships, and monitoring the budget throughout the year.
- Gain a deeper understanding of the Financial Foundations Framework
- Learn how to incorporate elements of the Framework into your budget process to create better financial outcomes for your organization and your community
- Learn how to use your budget process to build trust both internally and externally
- Learn how budget monitoring and performance metrics can help keep your stakeholders engaged in the budget throughout the year
- Learn how to develop objective decision-making criteria and tips for sticking to them
- Learn strategies for more meaningful engagement with the public on budget issues