Experience and knowledge in local government budgeting.
The ideal audience would be those individuals that are looking for different ways of improving their personnel budgeting process.
This course will provide a solid primer on the fundamental aspects of personnel budgeting and focus on ancillary areas that impact government’s bottom line. Several tools and approaches to personnel budgeting will be discussed and debated across course participants.
- Develop understanding of public sector personnel issues and how it compares to the private sector
- Become more familiar with personnel classifications, grades and steps
- Undersand how to use hire plans to connect the budget document to day-to-day operations
- Learn about budgeting methods including:
- Budgeting for vacancies, retirements, etc.
- Understanding types of benefits such as health insurance, pension, deferred comp. and their potential impact to operating budgets
- Understand the differing methods to extraploate future personnel costs
- Understanding pros and cons of different compensation approaches
- Develop approaches to budget monitoring responsibilities, including position control
- Link staffing levels to goal achievement
- Develop cost allocation strategies