Ernest N. Morial Convention Center
Individuals who are interested in increasing the public’s trust in their organization and who would like to learn how to develop an action plan for responding to different ethical challenges.
Note: This session will feature different scenarios from those in the 2019 GFOA conference session in Los Angeles. Attendees are strongly encouraged, though not required, to attend GFOA’s forthcoming Giving Voice to Values online course in advance of this session.
GFOA’s new code of ethics outlines the values that are essential to building trust in our communities, but putting these values into action can sometimes be difficult. In fact, ethical tragedies are often the result of people who sit silently on the sidelines afraid or uncertain of what to do about a transgression. In this session, you will learn a distinctive new approach to these situations called “Giving Voice to Values” by working through real-life scenarios of ethical challenges that have occurred in governments.
- Gain an understanding of the “Giving Voice to Values” approach to ethical decision-making
- Learn how to develop strategies to increase the public’s trust in your organization
- Develop a plan for responding to ethical challenges in your organization
- Identify specific actions you can take to stand up for your values when facing pressure to do the opposite
- Gain experience in putting your plan into action by working through scenarios and case studies